Re: XPath/XQuery and all that

On 14-Nov-06, at 3:37 PM, Stephen Farrell wrote:

> Michael(tm) Smith wrote:
>> Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>, 2006-11-14 19:28 +0000:
>>> XPath and similar languages are effectively almost programming
>>> languages and can therefore potentially badly affect the end
>>> user.
>> How, exactly? XPath itself is an just an addressing mechanism.
>> that can be used by other languages (such as XSLT). It's not, on
>> its own, a Turing-complete programming language as Javascript is.
>
> My (poor) understanding of it is that it can be made to loop and
> has variables, but perhaps that's only in conjunction with XSLT
> or something.

   Keep in mind that one could implement all these XML technologies
in JavaScript, so their existence is irrelevant, and conceptually
they're irrelevant.  The question is only of their implementation,
and that's not in scope for any sort of standards group.
Implementation details belong with the developer and are generally
solved with software updates.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/