Re: ACTION-22 Voice Browser Use Case...

A VoiceXML voice browser could be used to implement the automated
voice-service in the scenarios described below.

As I mentioned in the first email I sent about Action 22...

"Interaction with a voice browser is often entirely transparent to the
end user.  He or she has no idea whether the interaction is with a voice
browser or any other automated phone application."

Most of our discussions in the visual world require the user to first
trust-the-browser, then trust the security context data that the browser
is providing.  This works because presumably people are using one of
only 4 browsers in the world -- IE, Firefox, Opera, Safari.  In the
voice world, given you don't even know you're interacting with a
browser, there isn't much context by which you would trust the browser.

In fact, it is highly likely that many of the folks in this group
(especially US-based) have happily hyperlinked around in a voice browser
without knowing it.  If you've received a flight notification call from
Orbitz, called 1-800-GOFEDEX, or 411 on Cingular, or 1-800-FANDANGO, or
800-555-1212, or E*TRADE, Fidelity, Wells Fargo, American Express, or
Merrill Lynch customer service, you've interacted with a voice browser.
And these are just a few...

--Brad

Mary Ellen Zurko wrote:

> Thanks Brad. I've got a really basic question. Where in the
> PhoneSpoofing scenario is the voice browser?
>
>           Mez
>
> Mary Ellen Zurko, STSM, IBM Lotus CTO Office       (t/l 333-6389)
> Lotus/WPLC Security Strategy and Patent Innovation Architect
>

> *Brad Porter <brad@tellme.com>*
> Sent by: public-wsc-wg-request@w3.org
>
> 12/05/2006 05:06 PM

> 	Brad Porter <brad@tellme.com>
> cc
> 	"W3C Security (Public)" <public-wsc-wg@w3.org>
> Subject
> 	ACTION-22 Voice Browser Use Case...
>

> ACTION-22
>
> Here's a story-board version of a use-case...
>
> Also, this link has a relevant use case:
> _
> __http://www.cknow.com/news/security/PhoneSpoofingAddedtoPhish.html_
>
> *Phone Spoofing Added to Phishing*
>
> You're calmly sitting there and the phone rings. You answer and the
> person on the other end identifies himself (or herself) as the police
> and says they are investigating a fraud ring in your neighborhood. The
> caller-ID checks out and they do have some basic information about you
> so when they ask you to verify other information like your Social
> Security Number, credit card number, or other detailed information you
> agree and give it to them.
>
> You've just become the victim of the latest phishing fraud.
>
> With the ready availability of general information and the ability to
> make the caller-ID system show a fake caller's location, the latest
> breed of phishers can now use phone spoofing to try to gather more
> detailed informaiton by making themselves appear like the real thing.
>
> The standard caveats for giving out information still apply even with
> this newest scam...
>
>     * Never give out any personal information in any form to any
>       unsolicited caller.
>     * If someone does call asking for information, ask them to put the
>       request in writing and also ask for a call-back number. Chances
>       are you'll never hear from the person again, but if you do
>       receive a written request check it out completely before sending
>       anything.
>     * As with phone calls, never respond to any unsolicited request
>       for information that comes in via E-mail; no matter how valid it
>       looks.
>

> 5.2 Call Lure
>
> Alice is a customer of BobBank. Mallet is an attacker attempting to
> obtain Alice's access credential for the BobBank site by impersonating
> BobBank via the phone.
>
> Mallet places an outbound call to Alice (and a hundres of other
> users).  The phone number appears to be from a legitimate 800-number
> service.  The voice service introduces itself as BobBank and alerts
> Alice that for fraud verification purposes, they need to ask her a
> series of questions.  The call also says "For verification purposes,
> please enter your account number and numeric pin."  For further
> [...]

Forwarded message 1