Re: What problems are we trying to solve?

Mez,

when I had first seen your list, I had read that point with an
emphasis on "discovered an attack", and had thought of heuristic
techniques, IDS-like stuff, and so on.

I do think that discussion on how user agents ought to react to
failures of security protocols is in scope -- the prime example here
being the MITM detection in SSL which is subverted by giving users
an override button that they'll of course push.

When discussing what the right approach to communicating this kind
of failure is, aborting the transaction shouldn't be off the table
purely for scope reasons.