Re: SPARQL in loweringSchemaMapping

Dear Pierre,

while the usage guide shows the use of SPARQL followed by XSLT, this
approach is only recommendable for simple things. I now generally
recommend just XSLT, and I see that's what you're doing.

But just doing XSLT only works if you know what the data serialization
will look like, or if you use some XSLT library (like [1]) to access the
RDF data. You see, I don't expect you'll use an "http-accessible
ontology which has already been serialized in a specific RDF format" as
the data to be sent to the Web service. Lowering transformations work on
data, not on the ontology.

Knowing how the data is formed, one can make assumptions on what the
serialization will look like. Such approach may prove fragile in light
of future changes to the serializer, and it may break in non-intuitive
or hard-to-spot ways because the assumptions are not written down or
verified. That's why the SAWSDL UG uses SPARQL to preprocess the RDF,
and that's why in [1] I suggest using a preprocessing XSLT step and a
set of helper functions.

Basically, XSLT can work for you, and [1] gives you tools for XSLT 2
that should be helpful to make XSLT work for lowering.

Hope it helps,
Jacek

[1] http://www.wsmo.org/TR/d24/d24.2/v0.1/20070412/rdfxslt.html