why distinguish between simple and complex types? (issue 11)

Hi all,

below is an excerpt from Rama's analysis of the relation of
modelReference and schemaMapping. The quoted part restricts
modelReferences to be allowed only on schema leaf elements.

On Sun, 2006-06-04 at 13:40 -0400, Rama Akkiraju wrote:
> Definition of Simple modelReference:
> ModelReferences that point to a single concept in the ontology via
> one-to-one association. Simple modelReferences are specified at the level
> of individual (leaf) elements in an XSD.

Rama, I wonder why you have the restriction?

Using the common structured name example, one could have something like
this:

<element name="Name" sawsdl:modelReference="ontology#name">
  <sequence>
    <element name="Title" sawsdl:modelReference="ontology#title"/>
    <element name="First" sawsdl:modelReference="ontology#firstName"/>
    <element name="Last" sawsdl:modelReference="ontology#familyName"/>
  </sequence>
</element>

Basically, there is a trivial one-to-one correspondence between the
element Name and the ontology class "name". Do you think that expressing
this correspondence with modelReference may be harmful?

Best regards,

Jacek