Re: extending SAWSDL for XML instance semantic models

The example I give is a restriction but I am actually interested in
the more general case of reusing both semantic models of property
description and semantic models of values I can associate with the
properties.

For example, I often deal with people who are interested in software/
service lifecycle, and they would like to have a property which is
lifecycle status.  The challenge is depending on where they play in
the service lifecycle, e.g. more interested in the development part
than the deployment part, they have different, overlapping
enumerations of software state.  What I would like to do is have a
semantic model of lifecycle that could provide a metamodel for others
creating specific lifecycle enumerations.

Now as I understand it, I can create a schema that includes lifecycle
status and SAWSDL will support associating the lifecycle semantic
model with the lifecycle status property, i.e.

<element name="lifecycleStatus">
   <sawsld:modelReference="http...">
</element>

and in an instance I can have

<lifecycleStatus>conceptual</lifecycleStatus>

but I don't have an immediate way to tell someone what the semantic
model is that describes "conceptual".  I can't add conceptual as an
enumeration value in the lifecycle semantic model because not everyone
will have a "conceptual" as a prescribed value and there will be lots
of other values defined over time.  I certainly don't want to revise
the lifecycle semantic model every time there is a new status
proposed.  That is where we are now and it is neither scalable nor
maintainable.

What I would like to have is a semantic model of each set of lifecycle
values and then be able to create a mapping between them, and my guess
is the lifecycleStatus semantic model would help me create the mapping.

Those are the pieces I'm hoping to put together.

Ken

On Mar 9, 2009, at 9:03 AM, Carine Bournez wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 07:24:59AM -0400, Ken Laskey wrote:
>> Take as an example that a large community has an element for "color"
>> and use sawsdl to point to its semantic model.  In this model, color
>> has its full range of typical meaning.
>>
>> Now I only deal with traffic lights, so my valid colors are red,
>> yellow, and green, and I define a semantic model that includes that
>> enumeration.  You want to do a search against a data store I created
>> and a valid color for you is purple.  Of course, either my restricted
>> enumeration or your target are both valid for the color semantic
>> model.  However, if you search against my data store with only
>> knowledge of the color semantic model (e.g., the XML tag), you will
>> never match anything because your target (i.e., the value between the
>> XML start and end tags) is not in my semantic model that includes my
>> restricted enumeration.
>>
>> So, I am looking for a way to show semantic models for values as well
>> as sawsdl applied to tags in the schema definition.
>

> It seems to me that the problem you describe is about adding
> restrictions to a more "for global use" ontology, but at
> the instance level rather than at the schema level.
> Is there a particular reason for not using an enumeration as
> the value type, then?

Ken Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305      phone: 703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                         fax:       703-983-1379
McLean VA 22102-7508