From: public-ws-resource-access-request@w3.org [mailto:public-ws-resource-access-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Ram Jeyaraman
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2010 7:19 PM
To: Doug Davis; public-ws-resource-access@w3.org
Subject: RE: MOAP v2

On the question about the use of nested policy assertions we had discussed during the previous WG call, here are my thoughts:

*       Defining nested policies using the extension point in a parent policy doesn't work because extensions are ignorable whereas nested policy assertions (and the associated semantics) are not ignorable.

*       The policy attachment point is at the endpoint level.

o   When policies are defined at the endpoint level, the policy intersection algorithm allows matching the capabilities (of the client and the endpoint) and allows the client to engage the right behavior. That is, in Example 9-1, the security policy assertion and the EventSource policy assertions can be defined as siblings; this ensures that the client will use the right intersection of these policies to engage with the endpoint. The policies apply to all the operations supported by the endpoint.

*       Operation is not an attachment point for policies

o   If the intent in Example 9-1 is to describe operation level policies, that is, application of policies scoped to a specific operation, it cannot be supported using the general policy mechanism, since it does not allow operation as an attachment point for policies.

*       If the intent is NOT to define a nested policy assertion (as Ashok described earlier), then it can be done using a policy parameter (of the parent policy) that wraps the collection of inner policies.

Thanks.