Re: WS-Fragment uploaded

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009, David Snelling wrote:

> Yves,
>
> You are right at the semantic level - either we tweak the meaning of
> the T.Put operation (as proposed in WS-Frag) or the we tweak the
> meaning of the whole WS-T spec. WS-Frag is intended to address a
> number of important (but not central) use cases. Therefore, I agree
> with the current approach that aims to clarify things for the
> implementers extending T with Frag and to avoid confusing those that
> only want to implement T but who are aware of Frag.

Well, the edcopy or T currently have examples using Frag, so the cat is
already out of the box there. If there was nothing about Frag in T, and
somebody is using a T.Put/Delete/Create/Get on a Fragment and Frag is not
supported on the other end, then you need to have a good story (especially
for unsafe methods).
Adding an axis in FragPut to do FragCreate and FragDelete doesn't seem to
be a good story to tell if you want to keep things simple and
understandable by mere mortals.

>>> public-ws-resource-access@w3.org
>>> Subject
>>> Re: WS-Fragment uploaded

>>> like

>>> the
>>> need
>>>
>>> I have a question about the introduction of 'mode' in fragment PUT
>>> mode has three different values:
>>> http://www.w3.org/2009/02/ws-fra/Modes/Replace
>>> http://www.w3.org/2009/02/ws-fra/Modes/Insert
>>> and
>>> http://www.w3.org/2009/02/ws-fra/Modes/Remove
>>>
>>> Put+Remove sounds awfully like a Delete, and Put+Insert looks also
>>>
>>> awfully
>>>
>>> like a Create. (and Put+Replace looks like... a Put)
>>> So why adding another axis of extensibility to duplicate what's
>>>
>>> already
>>> there?

>> --
>>
>> Baroula que barouleras, au tiéu toujou t'entourneras.
>>
>>       ~~Yves
>>

> Take care:
>
>   Dr. David Snelling < David . Snelling . UK . Fujitsu . com >
>   Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe Limited
>   Hayes Park Central
>   Hayes End Road
>   Hayes, Middlesex  UB4 8FE
>   Reg. No. 4153469
>
>   +44-7590-293439 (Mobile)

> Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe Limited
> Hayes Park Central, Hayes End Road, Hayes, Middlesex, UB4 8FE
> Registered No. 4153469
>

> This e-mail and any attachments are for the sole use of addressee(s) and
> may contain information which is privileged and confidential. Unauthorised
> use or copying for disclosure is strictly prohibited. The fact that this
> e-mail has been scanned by Trendmicro Interscan and McAfee Groupshield does
> not guarantee that it has not been intercepted or amended nor that it is
> virus-free.

         ~~Yves