Re: Enumeration state tables

Comments inline

On 9/27/2009 12:54 PM, Doug Davis wrote:

> Couple of comments:
> 1 - if we're going to do this then I'd like to suggest that we get
> some version of these into the spec sooner rather than later.  Having
> this in the spec sooner will people more time to review it - including
> non-WG members.
<gp>I would like that as well.</gp>
> 2 - We probably need an [End] state - in both tables
<gp>Why? As there is no state you can progress to after entering the
[End] state, it seemed to me that there was no need to include it in the
tables.</gp>
> 3 - on the consumer side - when we're in states like "Getting Status",
> can't we also do a Renew?  No need to serialize things, right?
<gp>Correct. I didn't mean to imply that we should serialize operations
on the enumeration.</gp>
> 4 - do we need to say what happens if a GetStatusResponse comes in but
> we're not in the "Getting Status" state?  if not, then I'm not sure we
> need the "Getting Status" state.  If fact, this state could cause
> confusion because it implies you can't do a Renew while in that state.
<gp>If the consumer receives a GetStatusResponse when it has not sent a
GetStatus message (an event that would have caused it to enter the
"Getting Status" state) that would seem to indicate that there is
something wrong with the implementation of the source. It's true that a
consumer could simultaneously be in both the "Getting Status" and the
"Renewing" states. I'm not sure how to handle this other than to note it
at the end of  the table.</gp>
> 5 - consumer: Expiration while in the Renewing state.... this one is
> interesting.  From the consumer's point of view, if they get back a
> fault from the renew then they're not back in "Created" state, they
> should be in "End" state.
<gp>To be clear, "Expiration" is a "timer" not a "msg" event. That is to
say, it is triggered by an internal timer, not the arrival of a message.
My thinking was that, if the consumer sends a Renew message then, while
awaiting the RenewResponse its timer goes off, it should continue to
wait for the response since that will tell it unequivocally what the
state of the enumeration is.
> 6 - on data source, the Pull request should probably have the if-stmt
> only on the sending of the EndOfSequence element since it could appear
> _with_ data too.
<gp>That's what I meant to communicate. Feel free to modify the text as
you see fit.</gp>