RE: proposal for 7478

I think the current spec is pretty clear that there are two ways a
subscription can end.  One is due to hitting the expires time and the
other is due to "some other reason".  No one, I think, will dispute that
"some other reason" will always be possible. However, the expires time is
all about the normal termination of a subscription and that needs to be
very well understood and agreed to.  Think of it this way, a normal
expires will NOT generate a SubscriptionEnd message, while "some other
reason" will (assuming an EndTo is provided).  The expires time
negotiation is all about the times when the SubscriptionEnd message is not
involved.  These two situations are not the same as you are implying -
they have very different behavior - and (Gil should like this) the state
tables should show this difference.  :-)

thanks
-Doug
(919) 254-6905  |  IBM 444-6905  |  dug@us.ibm.com

"Li, Li (Li)" <lli5@avaya.com>
09/17/2009 10:06 AM

Doug Davis/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
cc
<public-ws-resource-access@w3.org>,
<public-ws-resource-access-request@w3.org>
Subject
RE: proposal for 7478

Doug,

I will focus on my response only to your part 2) as my previous email did.

What concerns me is the semantics of ?minimum? expiry time. If a
subscriber asks for an expiry time 1 hour and tags it as minimum, can the
event source terminate the subscription before 1 hour? According to
current spec, it can. And this is correct, because no event source can
predict the future and guarantee that the subscription will last for 1
hour. Therefore, a subscription with a minimum 1 hour expiry is the same
as a subscription with a ?random? 1 hour expiry (one created without the
minimum tag). Since there is no difference in actual lifetime between two
subscriptions, adding such a tag has no consequence but creates confusions
for the subscribers.
Thanks,
Li Li