Re: WS-Eventing Subscriber-side state questions

Folks,

On 10 Sep 2009, at 00:57, Gilbert Pilz wrote:

> I've been working on AI 95 and I have a couple questions about the
> Subscribers view of the state of a Subscription under various
> circumstances.
>
> 1.) If I have created a Subscription with a Subscribe/
> SubscribeResponse exchange and I attempt to renew the Subscription
> by sending a Renew message to the Subscription Manager and I receive
> a UnableToRenew fault, what should I consider the state of the
> Subscription to be, (a) unchanged (i.e. same as before the Renew
> attempt), (b) terminated, (c) undetermined?

Unchanged. I amy be a source that doesn't like to renew and simply
always fail. The existing subscription should remain in effect until
it expires. Also, the fault should be about the renew operation and
not about the subscription.

> 2.) If I have created a Subscription (blah, blah) and I attempt to
> unsubscribe by sending a Unsubscribe message and I receive a fault
> response (e.g. InvalidMessage), what should I consider the state of
> the Subscription to be, (a) unchanged, (b) terminated, (c)
> undetermined?

Unchanged: Basically the same reason as above. The subscription is not
what's failing, just the operation to unsubscribe.

> FWIW I think the answer is 'a' in both cases. In general I think WS-
> Eventing needs to be clearer about the effects of various faults on
> the state of the Subscription. For example, I think we need to make
> it clear that any request message that causes the InvalidMessage
> fault to be generated has no effect on the Event Source; it's as if
> the request message were never sent.

+1

> - gp

Take care:

     Dr. David Snelling < David . Snelling . UK . Fujitsu . com >
     Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe Limited
     Hayes Park Central
     Hayes End Road
     Hayes, Middlesex  UB4 8FE
     Reg. No. 4153469

     +44-7590-293439 (Mobile)

 Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe Limited
 Hayes Park Central, Hayes End Road, Hayes, Middlesex, UB4 8FE
 Registered No. 4153469

 This e-mail and any attachments are for the sole use of addressee(s) and
 may contain information which is privileged and confidential. Unauthorised
 use or copying for disclosure is strictly prohibited. The fact that this
 e-mail has been scanned by Trendmicro Interscan and McAfee Groupshield does
 not guarantee that it has not been intercepted or amended nor that it is
 virus-free.