RE: Issue 6432: updated proposal

Li,
  if you look at the MC spec there's a "MessagePending" header that can be
used to indicate that the event sink should poll immediately when more
messages are pending.

thanks
-Doug
(919) 254-6905  |  IBM 444-6905  |  dug@us.ibm.com

"Li, Li (Li)" <lli5@avaya.com>
03/23/2009 03:42 PM

Doug Davis/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
cc
<public-ws-resource-access@w3.org>,
<public-ws-resource-access-request@w3.org>, "Chou, Wu (Wu)"
<wuchou@avaya.com>
Subject
RE: Issue 6432: updated proposal

Doug,

if so, that means only in the batch format can mc support timely delivery
of notifications without the added latency compared to the "unsolicited
push" mode.

this would work like this:
1) mc request (uuid=xyz)
2) subscribe (notifyto=xyz, format=batch)
3) all notifications sent using the same mc connection, until
4) the subscription terminates

i called mc request before subscribe to eleminate the potential delay
caused by the mc request.

In a non-batch format, the sink polls the event source at some interval,
so there is a added delay of
T(poll interval) + T(sending mc request) + T(processing of mc request)

To reduce the delay, we can make "poll interval" as small as possible (in
fact we can make it zero using the batch format), but the tradeoff is we
occupy more connection resources on the event source.
For this reason, i'm hesitating to merge these two approaches under the
"push" mode.

Thanks.