RE: Issue-6692 - Interim agreement draft

Martin,
  there seems like ok edits to me - wanna open a new issue since its not
directly related to 6692?

thanks
-Doug
(919) 254-6905  |  IBM 444-6905  |  dug@us.ibm.com

"Martin Chapman" <martin.chapman@oracle.com>
Sent by: public-ws-resource-access-request@w3.org
07/24/2009 07:23 AM

"'Geoff Bullen'" <Geoff.Bullen@microsoft.com>, "'Bob Freund'"
<bob.freund@hitachisoftware.com>, <public-ws-resource-access@w3.org>
cc

Subject
RE: Issue-6692 - Interim agreement draft

I think the definition in 2.3 of wrapped and unwrapped is still a bit
imprecise and self-referencing, but I think the fix is simple.
I would suggest adding the words "defined by this specification" at the
end of the second sentence, giving:

"Use of wrapped format indicates that notification messages should be
contained in a wrapper element defined by this specification."

Without such a qualification this would lead to ambiguity as one person's
wrapper is another person's unwrapped!

And just being pedantic I would also suggest changing:

"Use of unwrapped format indicates that notification messages are not
wrapped."

"Use of unwrapped format indicates that notification messages are not
contained in a wrapper element."

I also think the second paragraph is confusing, as formatting is always
engaged, it's just a question of what sort!

So how about changing:
"When the Delivery Format feature is engaged the formatting of the going
events occurs after any filtering."
To:
"Filtering occurs prior to any formatting of notification messages."

The sum total of these suggestions would give:

2.3 Notification Formats

This specification specifies two delivery formats: wrapped and unwrapped.
Use of wrapped format indicates that notification messages
should be contained in a wrapper element defined by this specification.
Use of unwrapped format indicates that notification messages
are not contained in a wrapper element.

Filtering occurs prior to any formatting of notification messages. This
ensures that regardless of what type of formatting might
occur, the same Filter dialect/expression can be used to subset the event
stream.

-----
Martin.