From: Gilbert Pilz [mailto:gilbert.pilz@oracle.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:24 PM
To: Chou, Wu (Wu)
Subject: Re: Issue-6692 - Interim agreement draft

Who said the QName is treated as an assertion,  and what difference
would that make in any case?

(Wu: Check ws-policy to see what the difference it makes)

An Event Source either understands/recognizes the QName of the extension
(or assertion if you prefer) or it does not! It's a binary distinction.
This is software we are talking about; there are no "close misses".

(Wu: This is so true that it is not the concern here. The issue is the
(policy) expression semantics formed by these Qnames (assertions))

 An Event Source that understands/recognizes "sdev:PushWithAcks" but
doesn't recognize "fsv:AckNotifications" doesn't know or care that, to a
human, they seem like they might mean the same thing.

(Wu: Couldn't agree more, as stated in my another email on this thread
that they are totally different from the Qnames perspective.)

 I have the hardest time understanding your model because it seems the
me that you imagine that there is a human being in the loop looking at
every Subscribe request and attempting to interpret the extension
elements.

(Wu: I am using ws-policy model, and it will really help if you can take
a look from that angle. I don't imagine ws-policy requires there is a
human being in the loop.)

It would be really helpful if you could describe, at a high level, the
exact sequence of steps you think should happen during extension
negotiation.

(Wu: It will be covered in our  proposal to the WG, in which such a high
level view is described during extension negotiation.)

- gp

________________________________

Who said the QName is treated as an assertion, and what difference would
that make in any case? An Event Source either understands/recognizes the
QName of the extension (or assertion if you prefer) or it does not! It's
a binary distinction. This is software we are talking about; there are
no "close misses". An Event Source that understands/recognizes
"sdev:PushWithAcks" but doesn't recognize "fsv:AckNotifications" doesn't
know or care that, to a human, they seem like they might mean the same
thing. I have the hardest time understanding your model because it seems
the me that you imagine that there is a human being in the loop looking
at every Subscribe request and attempting to interpret the extension
elements. It would be really helpful if you could describe, at a high