Issue 6604 - a proposal

From: Doug Davis <dug@us.ibm.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 10:16:45 -0500
To: public-ws-resource-access@w3.org
(copy from issue)
Current form:
  <mex:GetMetadata ... >
    <mex:Content> xs:anyURI </mex:Content> *

 <mex:GetMetadata ... >
   <mex:Dialect uri="xs:anyURI"
                Content="xs:anyURI"? .../> *

This gives you the flexibility of choosing different formats on a per
basis.  What's nice about this is that since we've defined the "all"
URI, you could ask for all forms of a certain metadata with a single
However, if you want just 2 of the forms (e.g. URI and EPR) then you'll
need to
use 2 elements.  Not a huge issue and I'm not sure one that will happen
often.  It seems that if you want a reference to the data you'll probably
on only using one way to retrieve it - not both.

We could make the Content attribute a list of URIs, but that seems overly
complicated when adding a new Dialect element gives you the same end
with only a few more bytes on the wire.

(919) 254-6905  |  IBM 444-6905  |  dug@us.ibm.com