From: Doug Davis [mailto:dug@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 12:18 PM
To: Geoff Bullen
Cc: public-ws-resource-access@w3.org; public-ws-resource-access-request@w3.org
Subject: RE: issue 6398: updated proposal

Geoff wrote:
The current version of T.Create() states that the first child element MUST NOT be omitted. But the draft proposal allows senders to emit empty Create requests. This means, current Transfer Resource Factories cannot process the proposed Create request messages without changing the underlying processing logic.

I think we need to move past the notion that existing implementations will not need to change - if nothing else the namespace issue will force that - so let's just put the nail in that coffin.  To this specific case, if an implementation does not support having default values for the entire representation then it's free to fault an empty Create.  Just like its free to fault a non-empty Create for any number of reasons.

If you'd like to have Create go back to xs:any+ then I'm open to a counter-proposal - but then I'd like to see some guidance on how RT fits into it - as you pointed out, they're not 'in-sync'.  But, IMO, the xs:any* is a far better choice for the long term solution as it provides the most flexibility and extensibility.

thanks
-Doug
(919) 254-6905  |  IBM 444-6905  |  dug@us.ibm.com

Geoff Bullen <Geoff.Bullen@microsoft.com>
Sent by: public-ws-resource-access-request@w3.org

02/03/2009 12:35 PM

Doug Davis/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS

cc

"public-ws-resource-access@w3.org" <public-ws-resource-access@w3.org>

Subject

RE: issue 6398: updated proposal

Hi Doug,
Having re-read our previous email a couple of times, it is still kind of unclear exactly what you think we are in agreement on here. :)  While it is hopeful we will find common ground at some point, we are not there yet.

Regarding Transfer Create Operation ...

T.Create and RT.Create currently have different cardinalities and one of them therefore must change in order for them to remain "in sync".

The current version of T.Create() states that the first child element MUST NOT be omitted. But the draft proposal allows senders to emit empty Create requests. This means, current Transfer Resource Factories cannot process the proposed Create request messages without changing the underlying processing logic.

Cheers,
Geoff