RE: issue 6398: updated proposal

Geoff,
  thanks for the comments.  I'm glad that we're in agreement that there is
no functional difference between what the current version of Transfer and
my proposal because I tried to ensure that it was just a syntax change. As
to the change of cardinality of Create, I was very clear as to why I
changed it - please reread my proposal.  Also, it does not break backwards
compatibility - aside from the addition of a wrapper, existing impls will
still be sending valid WS-T messages.

thanks
-Doug
(919) 254-6905  |  IBM 444-6905  |  dug@us.ibm.com

Geoff Bullen <Geoff.Bullen@microsoft.com>
02/02/2009 07:32 PM

Doug Davis/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
cc
"public-ws-resource-access@w3.org" <public-ws-resource-access@w3.org>
Subject
RE: issue 6398: updated proposal

Doug,
We have been looking more closely at the wrapper issue (Issue 6398) and
your current proposal and there are a number of concerns that we have.

Summary
We believe that the proposed changes will affect the current alignment of
Transfer with HTTP, and that it breaks the current implementation of
Transfer by changing the cardinality of  message formats.  More specific
details can be seen below:

1) Wrappers and the Alignment of Transfer with HTTP
We believe that the proposed wrapper changes disrupt the current alignment
between Transfer and HTTP.  Since the TAG articulated in Nov, 2008 that
they were interested in a closer alignment between Transfer and HTTP, it
is unclear to us if this is the right direction for the WG to be heading.

There are a set of principles that guide us as we move through this issue:
  a) Transfer continues to have alignment with HTTP as much as possible.
  b) Transfer is built on WS-A and honors the WS-A action based dispatch
model.
  c) Transfer should be aligned with Basic Profile as much as possible.

With regards to goal a) above, the HTTP message body carries the content
(or message body) and not the verb (action).  In the same way, the
Transfer SOAP body carries the content and not the action. We believe
using specific wrapper element names, such as <get> and <getresponse>,
implies there is semantic meaning in those names, which affects the
separation described above and thus disrupts the existing alignment
between Transfer and HTTP.  Any semantic meaning also goes against goal
b).

Also with regards to goal a), the WG has not yet received any technical
comments from the TAG nor has the TAG articulated its wishes clearly to
us.  Shouldn't we engage the TAG ASAP?

2) Wrappers, Cardinality and the Create verb
While you expressed a desire to treat cardinality as separate from the
wrapper issue, your proposal does in fact change the cardinality of the
Transfer messages, Delete and Create.  While changing the cardinality of
T.delete does not break backwards compatibility, changing the cardinality
of T.create certainly does.  It is unclear to us why your proposal has
chosen to break backwards compatibility with T implementations.  It is our
understanding that there are many current interoperable implementations of
the T spec, so would not it be more prudent to align more closely with the
current version of T?

--Geoff