From: public-ws-resource-access-request@w3.org [mailto:public-ws-resource-access-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Gilbert Pilz
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2009 10:03 PM
To: public-ws-resource-access@w3.org
Subject: raw proposal for addressing several WS-Eventing issues

Attached is a raw proposal for addressing several of the issues that have been filed against WS-Eventing (and some issues that have yet to be filed). This proposal is only an outline of some of our ideas on how to address the following problems:

 *   For a given Event Source/Subscription Manager, how do I (the potential Subscriber) know what filter types and delivery modes are supported? This issue will expand if/when we add more optional features to the protocol. For example, if we define optional Pause and Resume operations, we will need some way for a Subscription Manager to indicate whether or not it supports these. This issue corresponds to 6402.
 *   For a given Event Source, how do I (the potential Event Sink) know which Notification messages I can expect to receive and the form and content of these Notifications? The current solution is problematic for a number of reasons, the foremost being that it requires the use of out-only operations in the Event Source WSDL. This issue corresponds to 6401 and some parts of 6430.
Sometimes it is difficult to think about individual solutions to these issues as they all relate to one another; hence this proposal. The intent is to foster discussion along the lines of "what if we did something like this?" Again, I want to stress that this is a very raw proposal. It is still a work in progress and we're open to any constructive suggestions . . .

- gp