RE: issue 8200: new proposal

Sounds ok to me. So the complete proposal for 8200 would then be:
- remove definition/mention of ws-mex-all dialect URI from spec (2 tables
in section 5, 1 paragraph in section 6)
- modify the definition of "[Body]/mex:GetMetadata/mex:Dialect " so
instead of including:
    When this element is not present, the endpoint SHOULD return all the
types of metadata that it deems necessary to communicate with it.
it says:
    When this element is not present, the endpoint MUST return all
available metadata.

I just noticed that the spec includes this definition of the ws-mex URI:
[Body]/mex:GetMetadata/mex:Dialect@URI='http://www.w3.org/2009/09/ws-mex/Dialects/ws-mex'
    This value returns no metadata sections.

which isn't true.  It does return a metadata section, but its for a mex
metadata doc.  I propose we remove this definition since this IRI is no
different than the WSDL IRI - there's no reason to call it out for special
treatment.

thanks
-Doug
(919) 254-6905  |  IBM 444-6905  |  dug@us.ibm.com

Ram Jeyaraman <Ram.Jeyaraman@microsoft.com>
Sent by: public-ws-resource-access-request@w3.org
12/11/2009 08:10 PM

Doug Davis/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
cc
"public-ws-resource-access@w3.org" <public-ws-resource-access@w3.org>
Subject
RE: issue 8200: new proposal

Ø  I'd pefer something like:
        When this element is not present, the endpoint MUST return all
available metadata accessable to this particular sender.

The part ?When this element is not present, the endpoint MUST return all
available metadata? seems sufficient, since in practice, the service will
only return metadata that the user is privileged to know. Thanks.

the problem with this wording is that it still allows a service to return
zero metadata sections and still be spec legal - but not very
interoperable.
I'd pefer something like:
        When this element is not present, the endpoint MUST return all
available metadata accessable to this particular sender.

thanks
-Doug
(919) 254-6905  |  IBM 444-6905  |  dug@us.ibm.com

Ram Jeyaraman <Ram.Jeyaraman@microsoft.com>
12/10/2009 05:44 PM

Doug Davis/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
cc
"public-ws-resource-access@w3.org" <public-ws-resource-access@w3.org>
Subject
RE: issue 8200: new proposal

How about if the current definition of ?absence? implies the following
[2]?

Essentially, I have grafted the ws-mex-all definition into the definition
of the ?absence? behavior.

Thanks.

[2]

[Body]/mex:GetMetadata/mex:Dialect
When this repeating OPTIONAL element is present, the response MUST include
only Metadata Sections corresponding to the Dialect specified by the IRI
attribute; if the receiver does not have any Metadata Sections of the
indicated Dialect, the response MUST include zero Metadata Sections.
When this element is not present, the endpoint SHOULD return all known
metadata. The endpoint has the option to optimize the format in which it
returns the data.