From: Doug Davis [mailto:dug@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 3:56 PM
To: Ram Jeyaraman
Cc: public-ws-resource-access@w3.org
Subject: RE: issue 8200: new proposal

I can go for deleting it if absence == all.  What's there now isn't "all" - its "all that the service thinks is important" - there's a difference.  IMO, the current defn is useless.

thanks
-Doug
(919) 254-6905  |  IBM 444-6905  |  dug@us.ibm.com<mailto:dug@us.ibm.com>

Ram Jeyaraman <Ram.Jeyaraman@microsoft.com<mailto:Ram.Jeyaraman@microsoft.com>>

12/09/2009 06:21 PM

Doug Davis/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, "public-ws-resource-access@w3.org<mailto:public-ws-resource-access@w3.org>" <public-ws-resource-access@w3.org<mailto:public-ws-resource-access@w3.org>>

cc

Subject

RE: issue 8200: new proposal

We also need to mention that when the "ws-mex-all" Dialect URI is used in a GetMetadata request, the Identifier and Content attributes MUST be absent.

Thinking a bit more about this, why not just entirely delete the "ws-mex-all" Dialect URI, since the absence of a Dialect in a request already implies retrieving all [1] metadata?

Thanks.

[1]

[Body]/mex:GetMetadata/mex:Dialect
When this repeating OPTIONAL element is present, the response MUST include only Metadata Sections corresponding to the Dialect specified by the IRI attribute; if the receiver does not have any Metadata Sections of the indicated Dialect, the response MUST include zero Metadata Sections.
When this element is not present, the endpoint SHOULD return all the types of metadata that it deems necessary to communicate with it.