RE: [issue 6432] - a modest proposal

See the previous notes on how its broken and not scalable - I'm partial to
this one [1].  Sure anyone can code up any spec - that doesn't mean that
its correct  :-)  people learn to work around quirk, bugs and 'issues' all
the time, but that doesn't mean we have to live with them forever.

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-resource-access/2009Apr/0016.html

thanks
-Doug
(919) 254-6905  |  IBM 444-6905  |  dug@us.ibm.com

Geoff Bullen <Geoff.Bullen@microsoft.com>
Sent by: public-ws-resource-access-request@w3.org
04/14/2009 03:02 PM

Doug Davis/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, "public-ws-resource-access@w3.org"
<public-ws-resource-access@w3.org>
cc

Subject
RE: [issue 6432] - a modest proposal

Doug,

> As for "keeping A" - let's not forget that "A" is broken.

It is not clear to us what your definition of ?broken? is in this context.
 From our understanding, solution ?A? has been successfully implemented,
tested and interop?ed by hundreds of different implementers.  In those
terms is it difficult to understand why you would call it ?broken?.  In
the worst case one might describe solution A as ?adequate? or
?successful?.

On the other hand, it would seem that Solution B has never actually been
implemented, tested or interop?ed in the Eventing context.  Further, we
are unaware of any implementer who has considered the use of the Mode
attribute in Eventing to be a problem or to in any way inhibit their usage
scenarios.  It should be noted that many of these implementers have
successfully extended Eventing with new Modes.  Please also note that a
number of current Eventing implementers, including Microsoft, Avaya,
Fuji-Xerox and Odonata, have already voiced public concern to W3C over
this new proposal (Solution B).

--Geoff