RE: Revised positions for closed/open world assumptions

Ashok,
my perspective is that  this "Z" behavior is outside the scope of "the
policy framework".
So it's not in our purview to speculate about the behavior.
The policy framework will parse and process  assertions contained within
the policy element tags.
A web service that is enabled to work with the policy framework then needs
to implement the semantics for the behavior.

so, my answer is at any given point in  time a web service with a policy
implementation knows its own universe.
so, do you do Z? this is an existential question to be left to the
phillosophers.
do you do Z today?
will you do Z tomorrow?
where does this line of questioning end?

you may or may not do Z, but  if you do, and you expect ME  to do Z then
you better tell me that, in which case it would be in one
or both of our policies

Maryann

"Ashok Malhotra" <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com>
Sent by: public-ws-policy-request@w3.org
05/11/2007 05:50 PM

Christopher B Ferris/Waltham/IBM@IBMUS
cc
"David Orchard" <dorchard@bea.com>, "public-ws-policy@w3.org"
<public-ws-policy@w3.org>, "public-ws-policy-request@w3.org"
<public-ws-policy-request@w3.org>
Subject
RE: Revised positions for closed/open world assumptions

OK.  Good point!
You would not engage in the behavior indicated by C since you did not
select an alternative that included C.
You could have but did not.  This is, I believe, for the basis for the
vocabulary based negation which is currently in the spec.

My concern is with the behavior related to Z.  Neither policy talks about
Z.  Can I do it?

So, I have the following questions:
1.      Along with the policies I need to know the universe of all
possible assertions (behaviors) so that I can tell what was not included
in the policy.  I don’t know how to specify this universe.
2.      If you say that assertions(behaviors) that are in the universe but
not in the selected alternative cannot be applied what about assertions
that are neither in the universe nor in the policies?  I guess we make no
claims about them.

All the best, Ashok