From: Maryann Hondo [mailto:mhondo@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Wed 15-Aug-07 23:37
To: Rogers, Tony
Cc: Anish Karmarkar; ashok.malhotra@oracle.com; Christopher B Ferris; public-ws-policy@w3.org; public-ws-policy-request@w3.org
Subject: RE: Ordering between assertions

the security policy authors have included this in their specification.
if others chose to, they can also specify ordering properties.

Maryann

6.3 [Protection Order] Property
This property indicates the order in which integrity and confidentiality are applied to the message, in cases where both integrity and confidentiality are required:

EncryptBeforeSigning 	Signature MUST computed over ciphertext. Encryption key and signing key MUST be derived from the same source key unless distinct keys are provided, see Section 7.5 on the AsymmetricBinding.
SignBeforeEncrypting 	Signature MUST be computed over plaintext. The resulting signature SHOULD be encrypted. Supporting signatures MUST be over the plain text signature.

The default value for this property is 'SignBeforeEncrypting'.

"Rogers, Tony" <Tony.Rogers@ca.com>
Sent by: public-ws-policy-request@w3.org

08/14/2007 09:12 PM

Christopher B Ferris/Waltham/IBM@IBMUS, <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com>
cc
"Anish Karmarkar" <Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com>, <public-ws-policy@w3.org>, <public-ws-policy-request@w3.org>
Subject
RE: Ordering between assertions

I would suggest that Ashok open an issue for this.

I do agree that the effects / behaviours corresponding to some assertions will be applied in some order (and indeed, I would require that order to be specifiable by the originator of the message - I have had requests for "sign then encrypt" as well as "encrypt then sign" - so the order must not be specified by fiat outside the message).

While I can appreciate the desire to avoid specifying the order of applying the behaviours, I think the line has been crossed when suggesting the possibility of an ordering assertion. By suggesting it, I believe the WG is obligated to provide an example of a possible form :-)

Tony Rogers
tony.rogers@ca.com