Re: Policy alternatives, negation, [Non]AnonResponse assertion and the none URI

I would like to point out that in my understanding (which is  changing
"weekly" I must admit)
a missing assertion in a policy means it does not "apply"  This does not
say negation.

I am having trouble understanding the point Ashok is trying to make.

If assertions are defined as in alterntaive G (constraints over a
general use of ws addressing) then empty does not imply
negation, but implies the constraint does not apply.

I like alternative G, and I would suggest that we wait for the policy
group's response to Bob's letter.

Tom R

Anish Karmarkar wrote:

> Ashok,
>
> So you are saying (I'm rephrasing to get clarity) that:
> "... does not apply .." => one MUST NOT do whatever the missing
> assertion asked one to do.
> Right?
> If so, the spec needs to be clarified to make it clear. This was not
> clear to a lot of folks on WS-Addressing.
>
> Additionally, does this negation effect apply to only top-level
> assertions or nested assertions as well. IOW, are nested assertions
> part of the vocabulary.
>
> One not obvious (not to me) side-effect of this 'negation' is the
> following:
>
> Consider the scenario where two very complicated polices are created
> by the IT department. Let's call them P1 and P2. I'm required to use
> P1 or P2 on services that are exposed outside the firewall. P1
> contains an assertion A that is absent in P2. If I advertise P1 only
> then I have to do whatever A asks me to do. If I advertise P2 only, I
> may or may not use A (as it is not part of the vocabulary) -- it is up
> to me. If I advertise a policy that says either of P1 or P2 and P2 is
> selected, I cannot use A. This is very surprising (at least to me).
> This does not follow the 'principle of least surprise'. "OR"ing
> operation in other contexts does not introduce negation based on
> vocabulary set. I'm curious as to the rationale for this. In any case,
> guidance and clarification in the spec or the primer would be very
> useful.
>
> -Anish
> --
>
> Ashok Malhotra wrote:
>> If you have a Policy that says Assertion A and B then you have to do
>> A and B.  Since it says nothing about C, you may or may not do C.
>> However, if A,B and C are all in the Policy Vocabulary (the
>> assertions contained in the Policy) and you select an alternative
>> from the Policy that contains only A and B, you may not do C.  Thus,
>> it is a form of negation.
>>
>> All the best, Ashok

Tel: +1 732 801 5744          Fax: +1 732 774 5133