RE: Action 270

>1. What is a policy vocabulary?

Last Wednesday, the Working Group began clarifying the definition of the term Policy Vocabulary<http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/CR-ws-policy-20070330/#policy_vocabulary> and Policy Alternative Vocabulary<http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/CR-ws-policy-20070330/#policy_alternative_vocabulary>. Let's try and clarify these definitions (yellow highlights new text) ...

"A policy vocabulary is the set of all policy assertion types of the assertions contained within a policy. The assertion types of the assertions that are contained within nested policy expressions (if any) in the assertions contained within the policy are not part of the policy vocabulary."

"A policy alternative vocabulary is the set of all policy assertion types of the assertions that are contained within the policy alternative. The assertion types of the assertions that are contained within nested policy expressions (if any) in the assertions contained within the policy alternative are not part of the policy alternative vocabulary."

>2. What is the role of a policy vocabulary in intersection?

The policy intersection does not rely on the policy vocabulary or policy alternative vocabulary. The policy vocabulary of the intersection (resulting policy) can be useful to apply the negation semantics outlined in Section 3.2, WS-Policy Framework<http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/CR-ws-policy-20070330/#rPolicy_Alternative>. Let's try and clarify this in Section 4.5, Policy Intersection<http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/CR-ws-policy-20070330/#Policy_Intersection> (yellow highlights new text) ...

"If two policies are compatible, their intersection is the set of the intersections between all pairs of compatible alternatives, choosing one alternative from each policy. The vocabulary of the intersection is the union of the policy vocabularies of the two compatible policies."

>3. What is a policy alternative vocabulary?

See Q1.

The attached document highlights the above suggested clarifications to the Framework spec. We hope this helps.

Regards,

Asir S Vedamuthu
Microsoft Corporation