RE: Policy expressions with no wire manifestation

Fundamentally we need to distinguish between (i) capabilities that a
provider advertises and (ii) the requirements on the clients the provider
specifies. The optional nature really applies to the latter (viz.
requirements). Just because a requirement does not have wire manifestation,
it cannot be marked "optional". What if a provider has a requirement to
store the records of the interaction (audit log) for a specified amount of
time, by the client (and the provider). This is not "optional" and is
"required" by the provider, as a clause for resolution of a dispute, should
one arise later.  This does not result in any wire manifestation but it is
not an optional behavior.

The fact that a requirement (assertion) does not result in wire
manifestation should be (is expected to be) available from the specification
of the assertion (type). Similarly if an assertion is a capability or a
requirement should also be part of the specification of the assertion
(type).

In any case marking assertions with no wire manifestation "optional", is not
correct as optional is reserved for behaviors that are optional to engage,
from the perspective of the provider.

Regards,

Prasad

  _____