Re: NEW ISSUE: New Attribute keyword to identify 'local' policies #3721

Hi

"The only reason to do so *might* be to support
generic tools which understand how to manipulate policies including
local stuff, but I think that is not something we need to be considering
in this version of the specification."

Interesting, this is the example we talked about today :-). wsp:local would be good for
generic tools : when importing third-party policies they could put such assertions into the appropriate category, when serializing
such assertions they can mark them as being wsp:local too.

Thanks, Sergey

+1, Fabian.

The reason we are standardizing WS-Policy is precisely for the purpose
of interoperable understanding of policies that are exchanged between
interacting entities.  The "local" stuff that has been discussed will
be, and should be, stripped out before any such exchange occurs.  It's
totally fine to use the WS-Policy serialization format to carry your
local configuration information, but I don't think you need any sort of
standard attribute in order to do that (people are clearly successfully
doing this already).  The only reason to do so *might* be to support
generic tools which understand how to manipulate policies including
local stuff, but I think that is not something we need to be considering
in this version of the specification.

I propose we close this issue with no action, and perhaps leave a
"v.next" pointer to investigate whether people might want to build
generic tools with a standard understanding of "local" - after we gain
more implementation experience.

Thanks,
--Glen