Re: ISSUE (3639) Which policy alternative was selected?

From: Fabian Ritzmann <Fabian.Ritzmann@Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 19:14:10 +0300
To: Ashok Malhotra <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com>
Cc: "public-ws-policy@w3.org" <public-ws-policy@w3.org>

Ashok Malhotra wrote:
> My original motivation in raising this issue was to provide a rationale for why we
> wanted a pointer from the message to the policy (alternative) that was applied to it.  (There are
> other reasons why such a pointer may be useful, for example if the policy changes
> during the course of a long-running transaction, or to indicate policies or assertions
> which do not affect the wire format of messages - bug 3789.)
> At the f2f in Bellevue the WG said:
> 1. You can add such a pointer to a msg using the SOAP extensibility mechanism but
> 2. The WG did not want to standardize such a header as it raised all manner of questions such "shd this
> be the first header."
> Subsequently, Dan Roth told the WG http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-policy/2006Oct/0043.html
> that Microsoft products used the following solutions:
> 1. In case multiple alternatives apply, create an endpoint that supports exactly one policy alternative.
> 2. Use an out-of-band mechanism to convey which alternative was selected.  In effect, this uses an out-of-band
> mechanism instead of the pointer in the message that I wanted.
> So, at this point I am willing to agree to close the issue with no action.
> If others feel differently please propose the solution you would like.

Regarding the suggested solutions:

1. Web services are meant to be interoperable. I don't think that any
product-specific solution can satisfy that requirement.

2. Irrespectively of whether an in-band or out-of-band mechanism is
chosen, it would be beneficial to have standardized solutions.

Having said that, I believe that designing a solution would take more
time and effort than would be good for our schedule. I'd like to see
this issue deferred to V.next.

Fabian Ritzmann
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Stella Business Park             Phone +358-9-525 562 96
Lars Sonckin kaari 12            Fax   +358-9-525 562 52
02600 Espoo                      Email Fabian.Ritzmann@Sun.COM