RE: NEW ISSUE: New Attribute keyword to identify 'local' policies #3721

Hi Sergey,

> Perhaps we can just use our own custom attribute to mark such assertions and then remove them at the
> point of publishing the WSDL.

I think this sounds like the most reasonable implementation strategy.  Using a custom attribute to strip out the local config assertions reduces noise in the published policies.

> However, it may or may not work, depending on whether a service has a copy of the original wsdl or not.

Why do you need the original WSDL?  You should be able to process the WSDL you are about to publish as long as your custom attributes are preserved.

One of the conclusions of the WS-Policy interop workshop held in Germany was that even if a policy expression contains an unrecognized policy assertion tools can issue a warning and ignore it.  However, these warning are annoying and alarming to customers, so implementers should avoid leaking out local config assertions.

> We feel that a standard wsp:local attribute might provide an easier migration path toward the eventual
> removal of the server configs from a wsdl. First such configs are converted into WS-Policy expressions
> and then they might eventually be removed from the wsdl

How does moving config information from WSDL extensions to policy expressions make removing the config from the interoperable metadata easier?

Daniel Roth