NEW ISSUE (3638) Need to be able to specify ordering between assertions

From: Ashok Malhotra <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 07:25:22 -0700
To: "public-ws-policy@w3.org" <public-ws-policy@w3.org>

TITLE: Need to be able to specify ordering between assertions

The Framework spec says "Assertions within an alternative are not ordered, and thus aspects such as the order in which behaviors (indicated by assertions) are applied to a policy_subject are beyond the scope of this specification".   However, the SecurityPolicy spec requires ordering between signing and encryption and defines assertions to control the order between such assertions.

We feel that ordering between assertions may be required in other cases as well and request an ordering mechanism between such assertions.  For example, consider an assertion that adds something to a message.
Perhaps a timestamp.  We may want to say that the timestamp is added before a log record is written.

JUSTIFICATION: See above

TARGET: Framework

PROPOSAL:
Two possible mechanisms come immediately to mind: an attribute on the assertion to indicate the order and
a special assertion that says one assertions comes before another.  But, clearly other mechanisms are
possible.  We have a creative WG!

All the best, Ashok