RE: NEW ISSUE: The framework specification should enable usage of xml:id

> We could also add a note in the framework/primer when it is not
> desirable to use xml:id but rely on wsu:id

Good point.

The xml:id Version 1.0 specification says, 'The Canonical XML Version 1.0 specification describes a process whereby attributes in the xml: namespace are inherited in a canonicalized document. While this produces a reasonable result with xml:lang or xml:space attributes, processing xml:id attributes in this way is likely to produce documents that contain xml:id errors, specifically xml:id attribute values that are not unique.'[1]

An illustrative description of the above technical issue can be found in [2]. The XML Core Working Group is chartered [3] to produce a new version of Canonical XML to address this inconsistency.

'XML Signature Syntax and Processing' requires implementations to support C14N 1.0 [4]. C14N 1.0 is widely supported [5] and used. In many cases, users only have access to C14N 1.0 support.

If the WG wants to adopt the xml:id attribute in addition to the wsu:Id attribute, we suggest amending the proposal to include the following note of caution to Section 4.2:

"The use of xml:id attribute in conjunction with Canonical XML 1.0 is inappropriate as described in Appendix C of xml:id Version 1.0 [XMLID] and thus this combination must be avoided (see [C14NNOTE]). For example, a policy expression identified using xml:id attribute should not be signed using XML Digital Signature when Canonical XML 1.0 is being used as the canonicalization method." Where, C14NNOTE is a non-normative reference to [2].

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/REC-xml-id-20050909/#impact
[2] http://www.w3.org/2006/04/c14n-note/c14n-note.html#S3
[3] http://www.w3.org/2005/02/xml-core-wg-charter.html#deliverables
[4] http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/REC-xmldsig-core-20020212/#sec-c14nAlg