Re: Draft Proposal for Assigning Media Types

Mark Nottingham wrote:

> That's an issue, not a requirement. The question I was trying to get to
> was whether we need to allow open-ended sets (like image/*)
> specifically, or just closed sets. I do wonder whether the ability to
> say "I'd like an image; don't care what format you use, even if I've
> never heard of it" is useful in a Web services context.

The use case I had in mind was to allow all the image formats that are
well-know, standard and well-supported. If an unknown format is sent
this would result in some sort of app level fault. Another alternative
is to enumerate the various formats that are supported. E.g.,
"image/jpeg image/png ..."

> Once we go beyond restricting the content of the attribute and talk
> about the content itself as having properties (such as media type), we
> stumble into full content negotiation (e.g., CC/PP, conneg, etc), which
> is very much out of scope for both WGs. If we want to bring it in-scope,
> we should leverage external work that's been going on for nearly a
> decade, rather than trying to reinvent it in a TF with four participants.

All I am looking for really is a way to declaratively say that attribute
"mediaType" can have a value from amongst a set of values (and we can
discuss whether that should be "type/*" or enumeration of all accepted
values or both). The only way I can do this is without using schema
extensibility points is by defining my own attribute in my namespace.
Unfortunately, having everyone define their own attributes does not
provide any interop.

> Unless we have concrete use cases that absolutely require this kind of
> negotiation, I believe it would be more prudent to stick with a limited
> facility like Gudge outlined, if at all possible.

I do have a concrete usecase -- image/*
If you look at WSDL 1.1 MIME binding [1] it is extremely useful to have
a mime:content element with a type attribute with a value of 'image/*'
or have two mime:content elements as children of the same mime:part with
type attribute with a values of 'image/gif' and 'image/png' respectively
(specifying alternate media-types). One of the short-coming of WSDL 1.1
MIME binding is that it provides this information only at the WSDL
message part levels. So if one has binary data that is 'embedded' inside
a part there is no way to describe the media type of this embedded
binary data. XML schema is the logical choice, but if we don't allow
users to specify a list of media-types (or '*') the description
abilities will be severely hampered.

-Anish
--

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl.html#_Toc492291084