Re: Draft Proposal for Assigning Media Types

From: Anish Karmarkar <Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 10:38:12 -0700
To: Mark Nottingham <mark.nottingham@bea.com>
Cc: public-ws-media-types@w3.org, Umit Yalcinalp <umit.yalcinalp@oracle.com>, Martin Gudgin <mgudgin@microsoft.com>

Mark Nottingham wrote:

> On Mar 30, 2004, at 5:26 PM, Anish Karmarkar wrote:
>
>> Mark Nottingham wrote:
>>
>>> That's an issue, not a requirement. The question I was trying to get
>>> to was whether we need to allow open-ended sets (like image/*)
>>> specifically, or just closed sets. I do wonder whether the ability to
>>> say "I'd like an image; don't care what format you use, even if I've
>>> never heard of it" is useful in a Web services context.
>>

>> The use case I had in mind was to allow all the image formats that are
>> well-know, standard and well-supported. If an unknown format is sent
>> this would result in some sort of app level fault. Another alternative
>> is to enumerate the various formats that are supported. E.g.,
>> "image/jpeg image/png ..."
>

> If enumeration is good enough, can't we tell people to define their own
> schema for a well-known attribute, as Gudge outlined? IIRC lack of
> support for /* was the only downside of that approach.

No, the proposal has two downsides: you cannot have /* or enumeration of
  types such as "image/jpeg image/png".

Thinking about this more, there is yet another solution:
instead of defining a "standard" attribute for indicating media types,
we could define a schema type in the media-type namespace and
applications can sub-type this type and define/use an attribute of that
type. Processors can then key-off the type (instead of the attribute
name). This is certainly doable, but I find the 2 attribute solution
(that uses schema extensibility) to be much easier and simpler -- as
processors can key-off the attribute-name.

-Anish