Re: Request from the ATF team to the authors of the WSDL Part II Spec

Steve et al,

I said I would try to provide comments on your document[1]. I have not
followed the ATF's work too closely, and apologize in advance if I am
completely off the track.

First, a high level comment. I note there is no support for attributes
as such in SOAP (or HTTP). I assume attributes would be returned as a
(fragment) XML document, possibly in the body of a SOAP (or HTTP)
message. This raises the question: can attributes (+values) be seen as
an XML document, just like an SNMP MIB can (after conversion)? If it
can, doesn't the problem become: a) being able to describe an XML
document; and b) being able to query that document? If so, shouldn't we
  leverage technologies such as XQuery and XPath, rather than inventing
our own extension?

Now down to your specific question: how does this fit into a WSDL
binding? I am under the impression that this is not covered (yet) by
your document. Section "Accessing Attributes" describes the wire syntax
for SOAP and HTTP "attribute getting and setting" messages, but it does
not actually indicate how this wire syntax is
modelled/described/represented in WSDL. I think it should. (BTW, if we
decide to publish your work in its current form, I think we would need
to prepare a companion SOAP spec, that describes your SOAP encoding for
attributes.)

To cover the SOAP/HTTP serialization you are suggesting, wouldn't we
have to introduce a new mode, in addition to the existing literal and
rpc modes?

Also, I am wondering why you are not envisaging setting/getting several
attributes at once.

I realize I have not followed the ATF's work too closely; you may have
answered these sorts of questions already; as said earlier, I apologize
in advance if I am completely off topic.

Jean-Jacques.

[1]
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-desc-state/2003Sep/0000.html>