Re: Attributes in WSDL

Steve et al,

On 30/10/03 18:35, "Steve Graham" <sggraham@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> All:
> I do not agree with the direction we are taking with attributes in WSDL 2.0
> working group. My reasons include:
>
> a) Forcing the designer to use Get/Set operation pairs to denote attributes
> results in a model of very fine grained access.
> b) The approach is quite complicated, this reduces the
> functionality/capability of tools to support this approach ubiquitously.
> c) The approach does not allow/support addition of policy/meta-data
> specifically associated with the attributes.
>
> Therefore I request that the WSDL WG reconsider its position on attributes
> and terminate this line of activity. The concept of attributes in Web
> services should be done in another venue that would allow a simpler and
> more complete treatment of this concept.

I agree. My hope had been that the full Service Data model could be made
available to a larger community, but this does not seem possible (sensible)
through the WSDL layer. A higher level should be able to meet the dual goals
of simplicity and power that Service Data represents in the Open Grid
Services Infrastructure (OGSI).

--

Take care:

    Dr. David Snelling <d.snelling@fle.fujitsu.com>