Trinidad

From: Candace Smith <candace4modeling@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 23:20:12 -0800
To: public-ws-desc-meps@w3.org

Trinidad probably isn’t what you expect from a Caribbean island. Sure,
                 you’ll find sun, sand, and sea, if that’s what you’re
looking for; plus
                 friendly locals, music, parties, and ample
opportunities for
                 relaxation.
                 But Trinidad is also cosmopolitan, fast-paced,
industrialised, eager to
                 prove we can hold our own among the much larger nations
of the
                 developed
                 world. This energy and drive are also here for visitors
to discover,
                 alongside an unexpectedly multi-ethnic culture and an
astonishingly
                 rich
                 natural environment.

                 We like to think of ourselves as the original rainbow
nation. Our
                 ancestors came from Africa, India, Europe, China, and
the Middle East,
                 speaking dozens of languages, professing dozens of
faiths. After a
                 couple of eventful centuries of mixing and colliding,
we’ve evolved a
                 unique common culture – vibrant, colourful, tolerant of
the eccentric –
                 but still manage to hold on to important elements of
our ancestral
                 traditions. This makes for a nation where ethnicity is
a fluid concept,
                 where we share with each other the music and food and
festivals of four
                 continents, where visitors are often amazed by the
diversity on display
                 on the average city block.

                 No wonder that our most famous cultural phenomenon,
Carnival, is also a
                 rainbow of traditions and innovations, colour and
noise, always
                 over-the-top, always just a little controversial. The
full-scale
                 abandon
                 of the street masquerade is a marvellous display of the
freeness of our
                 spirit; each year, the construction of thousands of
costumes, the
                 composition of hundreds of calypsos, the perfection of
awe-inspiring
                 steelband performances reminds us of our creative
potential.

                 Carnival Tuesday evening, when the celebration is at
its height, shows
                 off the true Trini soul; as do the thousands of people
of all races and
                 creeds helping to light the flickering lamps for the
Hindu festival of
                 Divali; as do the crowds singing and chanting at the
Queen’s Park Oval
                 when a cricket match comes to a climax. Spend some time
with us and
                 you’ll understand what we mean.

sex</a>
sex</a>