Re: WSDL components and properties stylesheets: properties attached to multiple components

From: Arthur Ryman <ryman@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 16:38:34 -0400
To: Hugo Haas <hugo@w3.org>
Cc: public-ws-desc-eds@w3.org, public-ws-desc-eds-request@w3.org

I don't like the idea of one component being treated differently, i.e.
with the others as dups.

There is no assumption now that a property name is unique to a component,
e.g. {name} appears in several components.

I think the safe way to handle this is to simply create a separate
<propdef> element for each occurence., e.g.

  <propdef comp="Binding">soap modules</propdef>
  <propdef comp="Binding Operation">soap modules</propdef>
  <propdup comp="Binding Message Reference">soap modules</propdef>

This will result in the property name appearing 3 times in the text, but
at least the tables will work.

I think the cleanest XML design is to allow a comma-separated list for
@comp, e.g.

<propdef comp="Binding, Binding Operation, Binding Message Reference">soap

but that will require more work on the stylesheets (to process the list).

Arthur Ryman,
IBM Software Group, Rational Division

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@fido.ca

Hugo Haas <hugo@w3.org>
Sent by: public-ws-desc-eds-request@w3.org
09/23/2005 04:36 AM

Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
WSDL components and properties stylesheets: properties attached to
multiple components

Hi Arthur.

Having just finished a round of edits on Part 2, I noticed one issue
with <propdef>.

In Part 2, we are defining in one place properties to several
components, e.g. {soap modules} to Binding, Binding Operation, etc.
However, propdef only allows for one component to be specified. I was
thinking of adding a propdup element to be used as follows:

  <propdef comp="Binding">
    soap modules
    <propdup comp="Binding Operation"/>
    <propdup comp="Binding Message Reference"/>

processed then as:

  <propdef comp="Binding" prop="soapmodules" dup="Binding Operation"/>

to populate the component table accordingly.

Does that look good to you?

Hugo Haas - W3C