WSDL 2: HTTP input, output, fault serialization in the wrong place

From: Jacek Kopecky <jacek.kopecky@deri.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 20:07:08 +0100
To: public-ws-desc-comments@w3.org

Hi all,

a last call comment on the 2005 last call draft of the adjuncts:

Section 6.6.2 in adjuncts defines {http input serialization}, {http
output serialization} and {http fault serialization} to describe the
content type of the messages. It does so on the binding operation
component level. I believe the binding message reference and binding
fault reference components would be a better place for these properties;
and the current places could be dropped or they could carry defaults.

So instead of

<binding ...>
  <operation ... whttp:outputSerialization="image/jpeg" />
</binding>

we'd have

<binding ...>
  <operation ... >
    <output whttp:serialization="image/jpeg" />
  </operation>
</binding>

This would allow us to define different serializations for different
output messages (or different input messages or different faults).
Granted, none of our MEPs have multiple input messages or multiple
output messages, but there can always be multiple faults.

It doesn't seem to me that the current limitation to a single
serialization format for all inputs, other for all outputs and yet
another for all faults, is in any way useful. In fact, to me it seems
fairly strange.

Hope it makes sense,

Jacek Kopecky