From: public-ws-desc-comments-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-ws-desc-comments-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Arthur
Ryman
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 2:44 PM
To: public-ws-desc-comments@w3.org
Subject: The Component Model is Underconstrained wrt the WSDL 2.0 Schema

As written, the Component Model is missing constraints that enable
typical instances of the Component Model to be represented as WSDL 2.0
documents. This problem is over and above the differences in the
character sets and name values allowed by the Component Model versus
XML.

For example, consider and Interface that extends no other Interfaces and
that contains a single Operation. Both the Interface and the Operation
have a QName. However, the Component Model does not constrain their
namespace names to be equal, as would be the case if the Component Model
instance came from a WSDL 2.0 document.

I think there is no value in making the Component Model much more
general than what can be expressed in WSDL 2.0 documents (except for the
character issues).

I recommend that the Component Model be tightened up to allow its
instances to be represented by WSDL 2.0 documents, except when prevented
by differences in character sets and name value spaces. (BTW, I am
unconvinced that allowing any exceptions is very valuable.)

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411