RE: QA Review on WSDL 2.0 Part 1, intro and conformance issues

Further resolutions below:

The WG declined to move this at this point.

> > [2] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/issues.html#LC5a
> > [3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-desc-
> comments/2004Sep/0005.html
> > [4]
> http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/ws/desc/wsdl20/wsdl20.html?conten
> t-type=text/html;%20charset=utf-8#markup
>
> > > * it would be interesting to list (maybe in an appendix) what
> > > constraints are not translated in the provided XML Schema
> >
> > Tracked as LC5c [7] you previously expressed agreement [8] with our
> resolution of this issue.
> >
> > [7] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/issues.html#LC5c
> > [8] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-desc-
> comments/2004Sep/0005.html
> >
> > > * you use both the expressions "a processor MUST fault" and "a
> > > processor
> > > MUST fail"; do they mean the same thing? In any case, I think you
> > > should
> > > clarify what is meant by those (i.e. what consist failing/faulting
> > > in?),
> > > and if they mean the same thing, only use one of the expressions;
> > > also,
> > > since the name 'fault' is used in a very well defined context in the
> > > spec, I think you should avoid using the verb 'fault' unless it
> > > relates
> > > to the said context; more generally, I think developing the notion of
> > > error handling for a WSDL processor would be benefitial
> >
> > Tracked as LC5f [13], this issue caused long discussion by the WG on
> what we mean by a conformant WSDL processor.  As a description language,
> the desired output of such a WSDL processor is not well defined and varies
> greatly between various classes of usage.  In the end, we were most
> comfortable dropping the notion of a conformant WSDL processor from the
> spec in favor of strengthening the definition of and meaning ascribed to
> conformant WSDL documents.  The final proposal we adopted is at [14] (we
> chose option A).
>
> I think dropping the notion and conformance rules for a processor is
> probably a loss for the specification, but maybe the group doesn't have
> enough implementation experience to define one or several classes of
> products for WSDL processors? I guess the point I'm trying to make is,
> when a customer wants to buy an interoperable solution using WSDL,
> she'll need to know how to name this or this type of software, and this
> naming ought to be done in the specification IMO.

As you know we wrestled with this for a long time and were unable to clearly define the types of behaviors a processor of WSDL metadata might exhibit.  In general there simply isn't a standard output from most of the common types of WSDL processor.

> FWIW, the introduction still says "It also defines criteria for a
> conformant processor of this language" and there are still a few places
> where conformance requirements are set for processors (e.g. "All WSDL
> 2.0 processors MUST support XML Schema type definitions").

That should be fixed now.