Editorial: Setting Default Values

From: Asir Vedamuthu <asirv@webmethods.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 05:29:08 -0800
To: public-ws-desc-comments@w3.org

WSDL last call drafts use 4 different styles to set default values,

[Style 1] In Part 1, default value is set via mapping
"Mapping .. {safety}	The actual value of the safe attribute information
item if present, otherwise the value false."

"Mapping .. {required}	The actual value of the required attribute
information item if present, otherwise "false"."

[Style 2] In Part 3, SOAP Binding, default value is assumed
"Mapping .. {required}	The actual value of the required attribute
information item."

[Style 3] In Part 3, HTTP Binding, default value is set via component
description
"A [local name] of version
 A [namespace name] of "http://www.w3.org/2004/08/wsdl/http"
 A type of wsdls:string
 A default value of "1.1""

[Style 4] In Part 3, HTTP Binding, default value is spelled out in a
separate table
"{http output serialization}	The actual value of the
whttp:outputSerialization attribute information item, if present. Otherwise,
the default value as defined in 3.3 Default Binding Rules."

Of them, I like [Style 1] and [Style 3]. To be consistent, my suggestion is
to use ONE style for setting default values.

Regards,
Asir S Vedamuthu
asirv at webmethods dot com
http://www.webmethods.com/