Permit URI References instead of URIs

From: David Booth <dbooth@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:26:53 -0400
To: public-ws-desc-comments@w3.org

In sections 2.7 and 2.8, we use URIs to identify Features and
Properties.  For example, section 2.7.1 says:
[[
{name} REQUIRED. A wsdls:anyURI as defined in 2.15.4 anyURI Type.
]]
and anyURI is defined as:
[[
2.15.4 anyURI Type
The value space of the wsdls:anyURI type consists of all Uniform
Resource Identifiers (URI) as defined by [IETF RFC 2396] and amended by
[IETF RFC 2732].
]]

I think we should allow these to be URI References instead restricting
them to be only URIs.  (I.e., allow them to contain fragment
identifiers.)  That would permit multiple, related Features or
Properties to be described in the same document, using different
fragment identifiers to distinguish them, such as:

http://example.org/my_related_features_and_properties#a
http://example.org/my_related_features_and_properties#b
http://example.org/my_related_features_and_properties#c

This would also allow conformance to the practice that some recommend
for the Semantic Web, of using fragment identifiers when identifying
things that are not documents, such as abstract concepts.
--

David Booth
W3C Fellow / Hewlett-Packard