wsdlLocation on the chopping block ?

From: Asir Vedamuthu <asirv@webmethods.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 03:52:51 -0700
To: "'public-ws-desc-comments@w3.org'" <public-ws-desc-comments@w3.org>
Cc: Wes Moulder <Wes@webMethods.com>

I am writing this issue on behalf of Wes Moulder, webMethods.

ref: http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-wsdl20-20040803/#wsdllocation

wsdlLocation [1] looks and smells like xsi:schemaLocation. But, I do not
have any concrete use cases. Are there any?  I read thru some of the other
WS specifications - BPEL4WS [2], Choreography [3] and WS-Addressing [4] -
mentioned at the F2F meeting [5]. None of these specs have use cases for
wsdlLocation.

WS-Message Delivery [6] uses wsdlLocation. But, this functionality will be
replaced with parts from WS-Addressing.

Plus, the opening statement in Section 7, "WSDL documents or fragments or
references to WSDL components (via QNames) MAY appear within other XML
documents" [ref] - do we allow WSDL component references via wsdlLocation?

In the absence of concrete use cases, this appears to be a cool solution
looking for a killer problem. We request the WG to re-consider wsdlLocation.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0257.html
[2] http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-bpel/
[3] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/chor/edcopies/cdl/cdl.html
[4] http://www.w3.org/Submission/2004/SUBM-ws-addressing-20040810/