Elaborate: Cannot be Serialized as XML 1.0

From: Asir Vedamuthu <asirv@webmethods.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 05:12:02 -0700
To: "'public-ws-desc-comments@w3.org'" <public-ws-desc-comments@w3.org>
Cc: "Christopher St. John" <cks@webmethods.com>

I am writing this issue on behalf of Christopher St. John, webMethods.

ref: http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-wsdl20-20040803/#component_model

http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/ws/desc/issues/wsd-issues.html#x177

"This document does not specify a means of producing an XML Infoset
representation from a given set of WSDL components. Furthermore, given a
particular serialization, not all valid sets of components need be
serializable to it. For instance, due to the use in the component model of
types that cannot be described using XML schema (.e.g wsdls:string), it is
possible to come up with a valid set of WSDL components that cannot be
serialized as an XML 1.0 document."

Last two sentences (above) sound very serious. I understand the issue and
reasoning behind it. But, this paragraph does not provide sufficient
information to first time readers. I request the editors to elaborate on why
components cannot be serialized as an XML 1.0 doc and provide a link to the
section that describes wsdl simple types.

Regards,
Asir S Vedamuthu
asirv at webmethods dot com
http://www.webmethods.com/