RE: Message Patterns vs. MEP

From: Jeffrey Schlimmer <jeffsch@windows.microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 19:21:32 -0700
To: "Asir Vedamuthu" <asir.vedamuthu@webmethods.com>, <public-ws-desc-comments@w3.org>

> From: public-ws-desc-comments-request@w3.org [mailto:public-ws-desc-
> comments-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Asir Vedamuthu
> WSDL V1.2 [1] introduces the concept of message patterns. What are the
> differences between message patterns and message exchange patterns
> [2]
> introduced by SOAP 1.2 Recommendation?

WSDL 1.2 message patterns currently make fewer commitments than a SOAP
1.2 message >exchange< pattern. For instance, you may wish to compare
the following discussion of message >exchange< patterns

with the introductory text of WSDL 1.2 Part 2

If you find this issue subtle, you're in good company. A task force
within the Web Service Description working group has been working to
clarify the issues.

> IIf they are the same, I am wondering why are they called as message
> patterns?

We chose a different name because there were differences.

> And, am wondering if the WSDL working group will use the
> template
> [2] spelled out by SOAP 1.2 Recommendation for describing MEPs?

There is no intention to do so currently, but that may change pending
the investigation by the task force mentioned above.

> Regards,

Thanks for writing!