RE: SOAP 1.2 Specification and confusion around Subcode

Thanks for the reply but we're still confused.  You mentioned "You could (
in WSDL via XML Schema ) restrict the type of soap:Fault and specify what
enumerated values are allowed".  I have seen examples (from Microsoft and
others) that show an instance with the following syntax:

     <soap:faultcode>Server.my:DivisionByZero</soap:faultcode>

What we don't understand is how the connection to WSDL is made?  For
example we've seen the corresponding WSDL written as follows:

     <fault message="tns:divisionByZero" name='DivisionByZero'/>

This would suggest that the fault name becomes the subcode?  But we don't
understand how the tooling can make such determination.  Do you folks have
an example of how this is to be described in WSDL and what the accompanying
instance would look like?

Lastly, don't understand how in WSDL you could restrict the type of
soap:Fault and specify what enumerated values are allowed?  The following
1.2 spec reads:  "The value of this element is an application defined
subcategory of the value of the Value child element information item of the
Subcode element information item's parent element information item (see
5.4.6 SOAP Fault Codes)".   This is a hard read and both me and my
colleagues are having difficulty comprehending.  To us the fault code would
need to be described as a complex type if it is to accomodate a subcode
(especially if it is to be restricted from an application spoecific
namespace) but that's not what we're seeing in the limited examples out
there.  Support for faults is very weak in the industry to date but its
fundamental to programmatic flow (especially when it comes to orchestration
going forward) and to us its still fundamentally brioken.  Again, do you
folks have examples that clearly describes what you are intending with
subcode and how it is to be described in WSDL.  Thanks in advance for your
reply.

                      "Martin Gudgin"
                      <mgudgin@microso         To:      <Ed.Morassut@bmo.com>
                      ft.com>                  cc:      <public-ws-desc-comments@w3.org>
                                               Subject: RE: SOAP 1.2 Specification and confusion around Subcode
                      10/28/2002 05:42
                      AM

Ed,

You asked two questions in your e-mail below.

1. Can the Value element ( when appearing as a child of SubCode ) be a
'faultCodeEnum' from an application specific namespace?

2. How do you specify in WSDL what the valid values are?

The answer to the first question is Yes, given that the type of the
Value element is xs:QName, the values can be from any namespace. You
could ( in WSDL via XML Schema ) restrict the type of soap:Fault and
specify what enumerated values are allowed.

The answer to the second question is really in the purview of the Web
Services Description Working Group, whose comments list I have cc'ed on
this e-mail.

Regards

Martin Gudgin
For the XML Protocol Working Group