Re: Formal semantics paper - from Marco Carbone et al

Hi Greg

Just to respond to your last point, I think there is definitely a place
for both 'full blown choreographies' representing a global view of a set
of interacting services, as well as a description of the specific
behavior associated with a service. They have different roles to play.

The global model provides a design approach to enable the
responsibilities of each service to be understood with respect to a
particular business process. This global model can then be used to
derive the behavior of a new service, or ensure that existing legacy
services conform to the required behavior (using the service's
observable behavior description).

Similarly, as you have described, if a service has its own endpoint
behavior description, then it would be possible to do a behavioral
equivalence lookup within a service registry. However, the required
service behavior could be derived from the choreography.

At the moment Marco and Kohei's type system addresses both of these
aspects, it is only WS-CDL that is lacking an endpoint representation -
which as you have pointed out would ideally be a simple extension to
WSDL. But that was not within the charter of the working group.

However, this is one area where potentially abstract BPEL may provide a
solution, but that does not preclude other more compact notations being
associated with the WSDL in the future.

Regards
Gary