RE: Asynchronous Service Access Protocol (ASAP)

Ouch!  I am the one usually complaining about the over-hype of BPEL to the
exclusion of many other fine efforts.

Let me start by apologizing about failing to mention WS-CDL.  It is a shame,
and I would like to correct it, but I need some help.  (I do, by the way,
mention it regularly in the presentations.)

I have always viewed ASAP and WS-CDL as complimentary.  If I am correct,
WS-CDL is a language that can be used to describe any possible choreography,
that is it describes the sequencing requirements of a set of SOAP calls.
ASAP, on the other hand, is a specific choreography, that is: there is a
specific set of SOAP calls with well defined meanings that can be made, and
a specified temporal relationship that the calls must be made in.

As such, I believe that ASAP can be described using WS-CDL.  The ASAP
technical committee has simply not had the time to become familiar enough
with WS-CDL to know how to properly express ASAP in WS-CDL.   Currently ASAP
is defined in terms of an XML schema XSD file, a WSDL file, and
specification document that tells you when you can make what call.  If a CDL
definition of the choreography could be constructed, then we could make it
available on the ASAP site to help make the choreography clear, and make it
available on the WS-CDL site as a real world example.  That would go a long
ways to reduce the confusions that people are going to naturally have when
trying to figure out how these are related.  Steve Ross-Talbot mentioned (in
a later message) that he is willing to spearhead this effort.

At a very minimum, I want to propose a "Reciprocal Reference".  We jointly
define a paragraph that accurately describes how the two efforts are
related, and on both sites we include this paragraph with references to the
other site.

-Keith

Keith D Swenson, < kswenson at us . fujitsu . com >
Fujitsu Software Corporation
1250 E. Arques Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA 94085
(408) 746-6276 mobile: (408) 859-1005