Minutes of W3C WS Choreography WG conference call held on 9th December 2003,1pm PDT


Agenda 20031209.htm




Steve Ross-Talbot




W3C Staff Contacts






Ed Peters

webMethods, Inc.

Evren Sirin

University of Maryland (Mind Lab)

Dinesh Shahane

TIBCO Software

Monica Martin

Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Ugo Corda

SeeBeyond Technology Corporation

Nickolas Kavantzas

Oracle Corporation

Greg Ritzinger


Anthony Fletcher

Choreology Ltd






Yaron Goland,  David Burdett, Abbie Barbir, Mike Champion, Martin Chapman

Appointment of scribe:


Anthony Fletcher (Choreology) volunteered to scribe.


The following is a list of recent scribes(inorder): Dinesh Shahane, Greg Ritzinger, Ed Peters, David Burdett, Ivana Trickovic, Ugo Corda, Assaf Arkin, MonicaMartin, Carol McDonald, NickKavantzas, Tony Fletcher, MayilrajKrishnan, Francis McCabe, Jeff Mischkinsky,David Burdett ,John Dart, Monica Martin,Tony, Fletcher, Jim Hendler, Kevin Liu, TonyFletcher, Jon Dart, David Burdett,Ed Peters, Greg Ritzinger, Monica Martin, LenGreski, Jean-Jacques Dubray,Monica Martin, Mayilraj Krishnan, FrancisMcCabe, Michael Champion, AbbieBarbir, David Burdett, Jon Dart, Carol McDonald,Yaron Goland, Leonard Greski,Ed Peters, Greg Ritzinger, Daniel Austin, PeterFurniss, Jim Hendler


Approve minutes

 Minutes 2nd December 2003


Minutes were approved         

Action item review




ACTION : chairs look at WSA issues process and recommend whether it should be adopted by this group. (IN PROGRESS, 1021, 1028, 1111,1118, 1125, 1202, 1209)


5.     Standing tracking items (a section designed to ensure that longer running items are properly tracked)


Requirements – outstanding items


ACTION: Daniel to look though document and see whichrequirements we captured so far regarding transactions.  (NO PROGRESS,1021, 1028, 1111, 1118, 1125, 1202, 1209)



ACTION: SRT to clarify use of “business transaction” using more neutral terminology if possible in section 2.1 (IN PROGRESS 1125, 1202, 1209)


ACTION: Editors of the requirements are directed to look at the issues list and filter each issue in a similar way to the filtering method used at the F2F.  To be taken into account at editors meeting in November. ( IN PROGRESS, 1021, 1028,1111, 1118, 1125, 1202, 1209)

Requirements Document Feedback
Uri to latest draft
Notes: Still to do:
·                    Diagrams
·                    Review requirements classification
·                    Use case and requirements review against new use cases
o                    EAI Monica Martin usecase
o                    Barros usecase

It was noted that the group has received a revision of the use case from Marco Adragna.  It was agreed that we should look at this during the face-to-face meeting to see if the requirements that it illustrated were already adequately covered in the Requirements document or whether indeed we needed to add this new use case and some new requirements.

ACTION: SRT to add Marcos’s use case to agenda

Issue tracking (progress/review)

ISSUE: Security, ensure it’s covered in an issue related to specifying policy/assertions.

Specification Editors report


ACTION: Nick to see if roles/participants fit with forth coming meta model (IN PROGRESS for F2F 1202, 1209)


·      Open Discussion/Review of Meta Model


It was noted that David and Nick have sent out a language model overview so we are under way! All members and particularly those attending the face to face were asked to read and come prepared to discuss it at the face-to-face meeting next week in Cambridge.



6.     Liaison




ACTION: chairs write a report for WS-BPEL technical committee prior to our F2F (IN PROGRESS 1125, 1202, DONE)

ACTION: SRT to update report to incorporate Monica’s comments on report to WS-BPEL and send to Martin.



ACTION: Chairs to get back to Monica about the F2F w/ BPSS group. Include agenda in next call (IN PROGRESS, 1125, 1202, DONE)

It was reported that Monica has accepted the invitation to present the BPSS TC at the face to face.



7. Hot topics

As this meeting had only a small attendance, it was agreed that it would be inappropriate to have any substantive discussion on technical issues and these were remitted to the face-to-face and subsequent teleconferences.

ACTION: SRT to place the hot topics on the agenda for the face to face.

Ed asked about output from the formalism taskforce. 

Steve replied that the task forces were disbanded at the last face-to-face as it was felt they could make little more progress at that time.  For instance, it was noted that we could have asked the formalism taskforce to provide operational semantics for the language, but it was understood that that would take great deal of effort, or we could use their expertise to inform the design and to try and make better design choices rather than poorer ones. 

Tony said that he understood that the formalism taskforce had actually been suspended until a base document was available rather than actually disbanded, so it may be appropriate to revive it soon as we are now working towards a base language specification. 

Steve agreed with this form of words and said that he was supportive of looking into this use of formalisms, which is why he had invited Honda, Yoshida and Robin Milner to the face-to-face.


·            Choreography & orchestration must be defined in context first, last
·            Intermediaries first, last
8.     AOB.

Face-to-face meeting

Steve said that he needed orders for dinner on the 18th from those who had yet to submit them, and that there would be no college meal available on the evening of the 16th.

Steve took an action to put the hot topics onto the face-to-face agenda.  It was noted that WSDL was now likely to come out as version 2.0, rather than 1.2 as mentioned in the charter for this group.  There are likely to be a number of substantive changes from the current WSDL 1.1 such as the removal of features and properties, the removal of the message element, and also setters and getters.  Steve took an action to contact Kevin Liu for his WSDL update slides and ask him to update them with the current status if he possibly could.

Next meetings

Steve emphasised that there would be no call next Tuesday evening (16 December 2003 ) as some people would be travelling to the face-to-face.  The next meeting of the group is the face-to-face in Cambridge 17 - 19th December, 2003.  The next teleconference date has yet to be fixed but will probably be the first Tuesday in the New Year.

Meeting Closed

ACTION: SRT to add Marcos’s use case to agenda.

ACTION: SRT to update report to incorporate Monica’s comments on report to WS-BPEL and send to Martin.

ACTION: SRT to place the hot topics on the agenda for the face to face.