Re: Choreography and Orchestration

Monika,

The simple answer is that orchestration implies a centralised control
mechanism (i.e. the conductor in an orchestra), whereas choreography
does not (dancers on a stage). In the former the players have a score
that they adhere to (in BPEL this might be the abstract BPEL defs for
the individual components) and the conductor ensures they all work
togther harmoniously (the rest of BPEL). In the latter all the dancers
have a choreography and understand their role in the overall dance
because it has been agreed or imposed for them.

Orchestration is typically used in a domain of control. Choreography
would be used across domain of control to ensure harmony
(interoperability etc).

Choreography is sometimes viewed as a peer2peer global model of the
external observable behaviour of the interacting components. We can
think of this as a global behavioural contract that might be used to
generate component stubs (i.e. Skeletal code) and/or with a tool by one
or more components that is used to monitor the contract or even
statically as input to a tool to reason about the behaviour (are there
any deadlock or livelocks in this contract?).

Hope this helps.

Steve T